ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Practice Test
31. A three-speed automatic transmission has a whining noise in first and second gear that goes away when it shifts into third. This condition is MOST likely caused by:
- A. A worn clutch.
- B. A worn band.
- C. The input shaft bearing.
- D. The planetary gear set.
Answer A is wrong. A slipping clutch results in slip while in gear and possible engine flare.
Answer B is wrong. As a band wears, a gap forms between the band and the drum. This gap will cause a transmission to slip.
Answer C is wrong. A worn input shaft bearing will make a constant noise in all gears.
Answer D is correct. The gear set's internal gears are not rotating but held stationary in direct drive. If a component like the pinion gears are not moving or rotating, then their not making the whining noise.
32. The transmission oil pump front seal is leaking, and the pump bushing is worn. Technician A says this could be caused by loose flexplate bolts. Technician B says a misaligned transmission bellhousing would cause this wear. Who is correct?
- A. Technician A
- B. Technician B
- C. Both A and B
- D. Neither A or B
Answer A is wrong. Loose flexplate bolts cause the torque converter to wobble, causing the seal to leak and the bushing to wear and possibly spin in its bore.
Answer B is wrong. A misaligned transmission bellhousing causes the pump bushing to wear on one side.
Answer C is correct. Proper transmission/transaxle and engine alignment are vital to a vehicle's driveability. Misalignment causes undue stress on the input and stator shaft, the torque converter, and the flexplate.
Answer D is wrong. Both technicians are correct.
33. Which of the following effects a transmission’s shift points proportional to vehicle speed?
- A. The throttle valve.
- B. The governor.
- C. Both of these.
- D. Neither of these.
Answer A is wrong. Throttle pressure is related to vehicle load.
Answer B is correct. Governor pressure is related to vehicle speed.
Answer C is wrong. Answer B is correct.
Answer D is wrong. Answer B is correct.
34. While testing the circuits leading to the control module of an electronic automatic transmission, the technician should use at least a:
- A. 1 Megohm tester.
- B. 5 Megohm tester.
- C. 10 Megohm tester.
- D. 20 Megohm tester.
Answer A is wrong. Use a tester with at least 10 Megohms of resistance.
Answer B is wrong. Answer C is correct.
Answer C is correct. Using a tester with at least 10 Megohms of resistance protects sensitive circuits from overload.
Answer D is wrong. Answer C is correct.
35. An automatic transaxle slips only while turning corners. Which of the following is causing this condition?
- A. A worn band.
- B. The torque converter clutch.
- C. Low fluid level.
- D. The planetary gearset.
Answer A is wrong. A worn band will also slip while traveling forward.
Answer B is wrong. The torque converter clutch would not cause this problem.
Answer C is correct. When the fluid level is low the filter will draw air while cornering. This will cause aerated transmission fluid.
Answer D is wrong. The planetary gear set would not cause this problem.