ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Practice Test
31. A three-speed automatic transmission has a whining noise in first and second gear that goes away when it shifts into third. This condition is MOST likely caused by:
- A. A worn clutch.
- B. A worn band.
- C. The input shaft bearing.
- D. The planetary gear set.
Answer A is wrong. A slipping clutch results in slip while in gear and possible engine flare.
Answer B is wrong. As a band wears, a gap forms between the band and the drum. This gap will cause a transmission to slip.
Answer C is wrong. A worn input shaft bearing will make a constant noise in all gears.
Answer D is correct. The gear sets internal gears are not rotating but held stationary in direct drive. If a component like the pinion gears are not moving or rotating, then their not making the whining noise.
32. The MIL is illuminated, and the transmission only operates in third and reverse gears. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
- A. Adaptive learning.
- B. High line pressure.
- C. Low line pressure.
- D. Limp mode.
Answer A is wrong. Today's electronic transmissions adapt and compensate for conditions such as clutch and band wear.
Answer B is wrong. High line pressure results in hard shifting
Answer C is wrong. Low line pressure results in slipping and excessive clutch and band wear.
Answer D is correct. This is the most-likely choice. Inspect and scan this vehicle to see if it's in limp mode.
33. Which of the following effects a transmission’s shift points proportional to vehicle speed?
- A. The throttle valve.
- B. The governor.
- C. Both of these.
- D. Neither of these.
34. While testing the TCM of an electronic automatic transmission the technician should use at least a:
- A. 1 Megohm tester.
- B. 5 Megohm tester.
- C. 10 Megohm tester.
- D. 20 Megohm tester.
35. An automatic transaxle slips only while turning corners. Which of the following has caused this condition?
- A. Worn Band
- B. Torque Converter Clutch
- C. Low Fluid Level
- D. Planetary Gearset
Answer A is wrong. A worn band will also slip while traveling forward.
Answer B is wrong. The torque converter clutch would not cause this problem.
Answer C is correct. When the fluid level is low the filter will draw air while cornering. This will cause aerated transmission fluid.
Answer D is wrong. The planetary gear set would not cause this problem.