ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Practice Test
6. Refer to the chart above. Which gear ratio best represents overdrive?
- A. 4.027:1
- B. 0.852:1
- C. 3.064:1
- D. None of these.
7. A transaxle's final drive assembly has been replaced. Which of the following is used to check ring gear backlash?
- A. An inch-pound torque wrench.
- B. An outside micrometer.
- C. A dial indicator.
- D. A straightedge and feeler gauge.
Answer A is wrong. Use an inch-pound torque wrench to check for proper pinion preload.
Answer B is wrong. Use an outside micrometer to measure journals, shafts, shims, and thrust bearing thickness.
Answer C is correct. Check ring gear backlash with a dial indicator. Always compare readings with manufacturer specifications.
Answer D is wrong. Use a straightedge and a feeler gauge to measure for warpage on a flat surface like a bellhousing.
8. An automatic transaxle loses pressure as it shifts from first to second gear. Which of the following results in this condition?
- A. A cracked clutch piston.
- B. A worn clutch piston seal.
- C. A worn clutch drum.
- D. All of the above.
Answer A is wrong. All of the choices are correct. A cracked clutch piston will cause a drop in pressure.
Answer B is wrong. A leaking clutch piston seal results in a drop in pressure.
Answer C is wrong. The drum can wear the piston seal rides resulting in a loss of pressure. Replace the drum to repair this leak.
Answer D is correct. All of the above choices are correct. When the piston applies pressure to the disk assembly, the clutch applies, and either drives or holds a member of the planetary gearset.
9. The transmission's1-2 shift valve is sticking in its bore. Use all of the following to clean and dry this shift valve EXCEPT:
- A. A lint-free cloth.
- B. Compressed air.
- C. A varnish removing agent.
- D. Shop rags.
Answer A is wrong. Clean the valves with a varnish removing agent and carefully dry them with compressed air and a lint-free cloth.
Answer B is wrong. Tarnish forms from heat and oxidation. It coats the inside of the transmission with a brown colored goo. Use a cleaning agent and a lint-free cloth to remove tarnish from components like the valves, springs, and their corresponding bores.
Answer C is wrong. The tarnish can be seen on the transmission's fluid level dipstick. It's essential to monitor and change the transmission fluid at recommended intervals.
Answer D is correct. Shop rags leave lint and residue on the valve's surface. Use a lint-free cloth or compressed air to dry the valve body and valves.
10. Technician A says test ports to retrieve hydraulic pressure readings for the line, clutch, and servo circuits can be found on the outside of the transmission case. Technician B says air pressure tests are performed before and after transmission disassembly. Who is correct?
- A. Technician A
- B. Technician B
- C. Both A and B
- D. Neither A or B
Answer A is wrong. Perform a hydraulic pressure test to diagnose hard shifting and poor shift timing. The transmission's service manual provides these test port locations. A pressure difference beyond specifications, usually 8-15 psi indicates a leak in the circuit. Check the manufacturer's specifications before proceeding.
Answer B is wrong. After removing the valve body, test ports are available for air testing individual circuits. Test plates label and identify the different circuits. Retrieve the transmission manufacturer's test specifications, identify the desired circuit, and apply low air pressure.
Answer C is correct. Both technicians are correct.
Answer D is wrong. Before diagnosing and troubleshooting a transmission, the vehicle's engine must be operating correctly.