ASE A5 Brakes Quiz
1. The front brakes of a vehicle with a front disc rear drum brake system skid when the brakes are first applied. Which of these is causing this skid condition.
2. A vehicle's brake lights are completely inoperative. Technician A says the brake light switch may be stuck closed. Technician B says the circuit may have shorted and blown a fuse. Who is correct?
3. An integral drum parking brake system is being discussed. Technician A says a binding cable will prevent parking brake application. Technician B says this system contains a brake strut. Who is correct?
4. Two technicians are discussing electric parking brake systems. Technician A says these systems require many manual adjustments. Technician B says a special procedure must be followed before replacing the brake pads. Who is correct?
5. A technician is measuring the inside diameter of a brake drum with a brake drum micrometer. The technician should use which of the following measurements.
6. Two technicians are discussing brake backing plates. Technician A says if a ridge has formed on the pads where the shoes rest they may be filed to restore a smooth finish. Technician B says to apply bearing grease to reduce brake squeak. Who is correct?
7. A vehicle has a low brake pedal. Technician A says an improperly adjusted brake pedal could be the cause. Technician B says overheated brake fluid could cause this condition. Who is correct?
8. Technician A says a low brake pedal can be caused by the hydraulic ABS unit. Technician B says a faulty master cylinder can result in a low brake pedal. Who is correct?
9. Technician A says to adjust a height sensing proportioning valve while on the lift. Technician B says to adjust a height sensing proportioning valve at vehicle curb ride height. Who is correct?
10. The ABS warning light is illuminated on a vehicle. The LF wheel speed sensor’s tip and tone ring are damaged. Technician A says to check the wheel bearing for looseness. Technician B says an insufficient gap may have caused this damage. Who is correct?
11. A hydro-boost brake system has reduced braking performance. Technician A says to check the power steering system. Technician B says to check the vacuum check valve. Who is correct?
12. A vehicle with power assisted brakes has a hard brake pedal. Which of the following is LEAST likely to cause this condition.
13. A vehicle pulls to the left only when the brakes are applied. This condition is MOST likely caused by:
14. Technician A says accumulators are found only on non-integral ABS systems. Technician B says some integral ABS units contain high pressure accumulators that must be discharged before repair. Who is correct?
15. Technician A says ABS control units are programmed to ignore speed sensor input variations below a certain threshold. Technician B says a one-channel ABS system controls hydraulic pressure to the rear brake units. Who is correct?
16. During a brake inspection one rotor is found to be much hotter than the other. Technician A says this could be caused by a sticking brake caliper. Technician B says this could be caused by the brake caliper piston seal. Who is correct?
17. Two technicians are discussing master cylinder residual check valves. Technician A says the check valve is used on four wheel disc brake systems. Technician B says the valve maintains pressure when the brakes are released. Who is correct?
18. It is noticed during a brake inspection of a front disc rear drum brake system that one shoe is worn more than the other. Technician A says that this is caused by a faulty residual check valve. Technician B says this is caused by a faulty proportioning valve. Who is correct?
19. A vehicle with ABS brakes has an audible clicking noise when it is first started. The noise goes away after a few seconds. Technician A says this is one of the hydraulic valves in the hydraulic valve assembly sticking. Technician B says this is a normal condition. Who is correct?
20. A light truck with front disc rear drum brakes rear wheels are locking up with only moderate brake application. This lock up condition is caused by a faulty:
Please select an answer