ASE A5 Brakes Quiz
1. During a brake inspection it is noticed that one pad is worn more than the other. Which of the following is LEAST likely to cause this condition?
2. The red brake warning light is illuminated on the instrument panel of a vehicle with four wheel disc brakes. Which of these is LEAST likely to cause this warning light to illuminate.
3. The right brake light is inoperative when the brake pedal is depressed. All the other lights function properly. Which of the following should be inspected when diagnosing this circuit?
4. After installation of brake pads, the pad manufacturer recommends performing a burnishing procedure. Technician A says this is accomplished by repeating several high speed stops. Technician B says this process includes light application of the brake pedal and a brief cool down period between stops. Who is correct?
5. A master cylinder reservoir cap’s rubber gasket is deformed. Which of the following would result in this condition?
6. Two technicians are discussing ABS hydraulic modulators. Technician A says the inlet valve is a normally closed valve. Technician B says the outlet valve is a normally open valve. Who is correct?
7. Technician A says electronic stability control systems require four wheel speed sensors. Technician B says the telltale lamp will flash when the ESC system is activated. Who is correct?
9. The left front inner most pad on a four wheel disk brake system is excessively worn. The outside pad has little wear. Which if these has caused this uneven pad wear.
10. A vehicle's TCS warning light flashes intermittently. Technician A says if the amber TCS light flashes while driving in poor weather conditions, there is an electrical fault in the system. Technician B says these systems require an electric pump and accumulator. Who is correct?
12. A vehicle stops but the brake pedal fades completely to the floorboard afterwards. There are no external leaks. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition.
13. Two technicians are inspecting a brake drum for wear. Technician A says if the brake drum has small cracks along it's inside lining it should be replaced. Technician B says if a brake drum has minor pitting along it's inside lining it may be resurfaced. Who is correct?
14. The brake shoes on the rear of a vehicle are worn and must be replaced. Technician A says the primary shoe faces the front of the vehicle. Technician B says the lining of the primary shoe must be riveted to the shoe plate. Who is correct?
15. Rust and corrosion have damaged the brake lines on the axle of a light truck and caused them to leak fluid. These brake lines cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Technician A says double flare copper tubing is used for brake lines. Technician B says single flare steel tubing is used for brake lines. Who is correct?
16. The left front brake of a four wheel disc brake system is dragging. Which of these is LEAST likely to cause this condition?
17. A vibration is felt in the steering wheel only while braking. Technician A says excessive lateral runout on the front rotors will result in this condition. Technician B says to use a dial indicator to check lateral runout. Who is correct?
19. Technician A says to use the original brass washer when installing a new flexible brake hose. Technician B says to use a compression fitting to repair a small leak in a stainless steel brake line. Who is correct?
Please select an answer