ASE A5 Brakes Quiz
1. The front brakes of a vehicle with a front disc rear drum brake system skid when the brakes are first applied. Which of these is causing this skid condition.
2. A vehicle's brake lights are completely inoperative. Technician A says the brake light switch may be stuck closed. Technician B says the circuit may have shorted and blown a fuse. Who is correct?
3. An integral drum parking brake system is being discussed. Technician A says a binding cable will prevent parking brake application. Technician B says this system contains a brake strut. Who is correct?
4. Technician A says an outside micrometer is the preferred tool for measuring rotor lateral runout. Technician B says a dial indicator is the preferred tool used for measuring rotor thickness. Who is correct?
5. A technician is measuring the inside diameter of a brake drum with a brake drum micrometer. The technician should use which of the following measurements.
6. Two technicians are discussing brake backing plates. Technician A says if a ridge has formed on the pads where the shoes rest they may be filed to restore a smooth finish. Technician B says to apply bearing grease to reduce brake squeak. Who is correct?
7. A vehicle has a low brake pedal. Technician A says an improperly adjusted brake pedal could be the cause. Technician B says overheated brake fluid could cause this condition. Who is correct?
8. A technician is lubricating rubber brake components while performing a brake job. Technician A says to use a high temperature silicon based lubricant. Technician B says to use a good petroleum based lubricant. Who is correct?
9. The amber ABS fault light is illuminated on a vehicle's instrument panel. The vehicle contains a four channel permanent magnet sensor ABS brake system. All of these are true Except.
10. Technician A says to adjust a height sensing proportioning valve while on the lift. Technician B says to adjust a height sensing proportioning valve at vehicle curb ride height. Who is correct?
11. A vehicle with a vacuum brake booster has a hard pedal with little stopping power. Technician A says a kink in the check valve's hose will result in this condition. Technician B says a vacuum booster needs at least 12 Hg of vacuum to operate properly. Who is correct?
12. A vehicle has a low spongy brake pedal. Which of these is LEAST likely to result in this condition?
13. Technician A says PM passive permanent magnet ABS wheel speed sensors produce AC voltage. Technician B says input from wheel speed sensors are used for anti-lock brake, electronic traction control, and electronic stability control systems. Who is correct?
14. The brakes of a four wheel disc brake system are self-applying and locking up after only a few miles of travel. Which of the following is MOST likely the cause of this condition?
15. A vehicle suffers from uneven pad wear. Technician A says to check for sticking slide pins. Technician B says this could be caused by a sticking caliper piston. Who is correct?
16. The front brake pads on a vehicle with a quick take up master cylinder need replacement. They were replaced just recently. Technician A says this is a low drag brake system. Technician B says this could be caused by a sticking quick take up valve. Who is correct?
17. Technician A says electronic stability control systems require four wheel speed sensors. Technician B says the telltale lamp will flash when the ESC system is activated. Who is correct?
19. The left front inner most pad on a four wheel disk brake system is excessively worn. The outside pad has little wear. Which if these has caused this uneven pad wear.
20. Two technicians are discussing traction control systems. Technician A says if the amber TCS light flashes while driving in poor weather conditions, there is an electrical fault in the system. Technician B says these systems require an electric pump and accumulator. Who is correct?
Please select an answer