ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Practice Test
1. After a long drive red fluid is seen on the transmission case and under the chassis of a vehicle. Technician A says this can be caused by fluid aeration. Technician B says this could be caused by engine overheating. Who is correct?
- A. Technician A
- B. Technician B
- C. Both A and B
- D. Neither A or B
Answer A is wrong. Low or high fluid levels result in aeration. Overfilling or overheating a transmission results in fluid flowing from the vent or fill tube.
Answer B is wrong. Transmission fluid is cooled in the cooler located in the coolest radiator well of the engine's cooling system.
Answer C is correct. Both technicians are correct.
Answer D is wrong. Both technicians are correct.
2. The MIL is illuminated and the transmission only operates in third and reverse gears. Which of the following is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
- A. Adaptive learning.
- B. High line pressure.
- C. Low line pressure.
- D. Limp-in mode.
Answer A is wrong. Today's electronic transmissions adapt and compensate for conditions such as clutch and band wear.
Answer B is wrong. High line pressure results in hard shifting
Answer C is wrong. Low line pressure results in slipping and excessive clutch and band wear.
Answer D is correct. This is the most likely choice. Inspect and test this vehicle to see if it's in limp-in mode.
3. Which of the following affects a transmission’s shift points in relation to vehicle speed?
- A. The throttle valve.
- B. The governor.
- C. Both of these.
- D. Neither of these.
4. While testing the TCM of an electronic automatic transmission the technician should use at least a:
- A. 1 Megohm tester.
- B. 5 Megohm tester.
- C. 10 Megohm tester.
- D. 20 Megohm tester.
5. An automatic transaxle slips only while turning corners. Which of the following has caused this condition?
- A. Worn Band
- B. Torque Converter Clutch
- C. Low Fluid Level
- D. Planetary Gearset
Answer A is wrong. A worn band will also slip while traveling forward.
Answer B is wrong. The torque converter clutch would not cause this problem.
Answer C is correct. When the fluid level is low the filter will draw air while cornering. This will cause aerated transmission fluid.
Answer D is wrong. The planetary gear set would not cause this problem.