ASE G1 Maintenance and Lt. Repair Quiz
1. All the lights in a brake light circuit illuminate except one. The MOST likely cause is:
2. A hydroboost brake system has reduced braking performance. Technician A says to check the power steering system. Technician B says to check the vacuum check valve. Who is correct?
3. The TPMS warning light remains illuminated on a direct tire pressure monitoring system, even after driving the vehicle several miles. The LEAST likely cause of this condition is:
4. A rear wheel drive vehicle has a loud clunk when the transmission is placed into gear and a vibration that increases with vehicle speed. Technician A says this is caused by loose universal joints. Technician B says this is caused by an unbalanced driveshaft. Who is correct?
5. A technician notices a swollen oil filter while performing recommended maintenance on a vehicle’s engine. Which of the following is the MOST likely cause of this ballooned oil filter?
6. A technician measures several spots around a brake rotor with an outside micrometer. Technician A says the technician is checking the rotor for thickness variation. Technician B says the technician is checking the rotor for lateral runout. Who is correct?
7. The brake fluid in an ABS brake system has become aerated causing a spongy pedal. Which of these DOT brake fluids are MOST likely to cause this condition.
8. A faulty thermostat is being replaced. Technician A says a stuck open thermostat will affect engine performance. Technician B says the thermostat controls the engine's operating temperature. Who is correct?
9. A halogen bulb is being replaced in a headlight system. Technician A says to handle the bulb at it's base during installation. Technician B says to wear gloves or use a piece of paper when handling the glass portion of these bulbs. Who is correct?
11. White colored exhaust is billowing from the tailpipe of a vehicle. Which of the following is correct?
12. An automatic transmission's fluid is pink and milky. Technician A says this is caused by engine overheating. Technician B says the transmission could have been overfilled and the fluid has become aerated. Who is correct?
13. Technician A says fuel filters have an arrow that always points toward the fuel tank. Technician B says a clogged fuel filter will reduce fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Who is correct?
15. All of the following are true about using a multimeter to test a circuit’s continuity EXCEPT.
16. The engine of a vehicle will start, but is slow cranking. Technician A says there may be resistance in the starter circuit. Technician B says to perform a voltage drop test to test for excessive resistance in the starter circuit. Who is correct?
18. A technician is unable to balance a tire on a vehicle that vibrates at speeds above 35 mph. Technician A says to continue adding weights around the rim up to 10 ounces. Technician B says to dismount the tire from the rim and inspect the inside for liquid or debris. Who is correct?
19. Loose tie rods are discovered during the initial inspection of a vehicle's steering linkage. Technician A says loose tie rods will cause a clunking or popping noise while turning. Technician B says loose tie rods will result in constant steering correction and vehicle wander. Who is correct?
20. The serpentine accessory drive belt of an engine squeaks, but appears to be in good condition. Technician A says this could be caused by a faulty idler bearing. Technician B says to check the belt with a belt gauge. Who is correct?
Please select an answer