ASE A3 Manual Transmission and Axle Quiz
1. The bushing in a transmission's extension housing is worn on one side. Technician A says this could be caused by binding universal joints. Technician B says this is caused by excessive output shaft end-play. Who is correct?
2. A chirping sound is heard when the clutch pedal is depressed. All of these could make this noise EXCEPT:
3. Technician A says to use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between the shift fork and the synchronizer sleeve. Technician B says a bent shift rail will cause hard shifting. Who is correct?
4. Two technicians are discussing a clutch pressure plate. Technician A says the pressure plate must be replaced if it is warped. Technician B says the pressure plate can be easily disassembled and repaired or resurfaced. Who is correct?
5. Technician A says a technician may replace the ring gear with out replacing the pinion gear as long as it checks out within specifications. Technician B says that ring gear run out is checked with a digital micrometer. Who is correct?
6. A differential's collapsible spacer and pinion bearing preload is being discussed. Technician A says the pinion nut may be loosened to achieve pinion bearing preload. Technician B says an inch pound torque wrench is used to check pinion bearing preload. Who is correct?
7. After a rear differential overhaul there’s a whining sound that increases with vehicle speed. Which of the following would cause this condition?
9. A front wheel drive vehicle makes a clicking sound when cornering. Technician A says this could be caused by the axle's (CV) constant velocity joint. Technician B says it's the axle shaft's torsional damper. Who is correct?
10. The backup lights of a vehicle are inoperative. Technician A says the backup light switch may be stuck closed. Technician B says there could be a loose ground connection. Who is correct?
11. There is a chirping sound as the clutch pedal is depressed. Technician A says it could be a worn clutch release bearing. Technician B says the sound is a worn transmission synchronizer. Who is correct?
12. Two technicians are discussing driveline seals. Technician A says repeated extension housing seal failure could be caused by a pitted axle slip yolk. Technician B says a bent axle will cause axle seal leakage. Who is correct?
13. While shifting a part time 4WD vehicle from 2H to 4H, the indicator light flashes and the vehicle remains in 2H. Technician A says this is caused by a faulty planetary gearset. Technician B says this could be caused by a faulty shift motor. Who is correct?
14. A vehicle has an excessive vibration at highway speeds. Technician A says companion flange runout will result in this vibration. Technician B says this could be caused by driveshaft runout. Who is correct?
16. The shift lever on a manual transmission in a light duty truck is loose and has excessive play in all directions. Which of the following is MOST likely causing this condition?
17. A front wheel drive vehicle makes a growling sound that gets louder as the vehicle turns left. Which of the following is MOST likely correct?
20. A squeal is heard from the clutch housing only when the clutch pedal is depressed completely to the floor. Technician A says this could be worn counter shaft bearings. Technician B says the squeal is from a faulty pilot bearing. Who is correct?
Please select an answer