ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Quiz
1. Technician A says an internal transmission cooler is cooled by the engine's cooling system. Technician B says if the transmission fluid appears pink and milky, the transmission has been overheated and oxidation has occurred. Who is correct?
2. Most modern transmissions use computerized electronics to control shift quality and timing. Technician A says EPC (electronic pressure control) regulates line pressure according to engine speed and torque. Technician B says the EPC solenoid is a variable force solenoid. Who is correct?
3. Technician A says a transmission fluid temperature sensor is a thermistor. Technician B says a scan tool and an ohmmeter can be used to diagnose a TFT sensor. Who is correct?
4. Technician A says the electronic transmission control module uses information from other control modules. The ECT engine coolant temperature sensor's input is used for TCC torque converter clutch control. Technician B says in today's electronic transmission, the governor has been replaced by the TPS or throttle position sensor . Who is correct?
5. An automatic transaxle slips only while turning corners. Which of the following has caused this condition?
6. An automatic transaxle loses pressure as it shifts from first to second gear. Technician A says this could be caused by the clutch piston seal. Technician B says this could be caused by a stuck servo. Who is correct?
8. The extension housing seal is leaking and the bushing is worn on one side. Technician A says this could be caused by a binding universal joint. Technician B says this is likely caused by excessive output shaft endplay. Who is correct?
9. A transaxle's torque converter clutch is not engaging. Technician A this is caused by the TFT sensor. Technician B says could be caused by the ECT sensor. Who is correct?
10. Technician A says to pressure test a transmission if an internal leak is suspected. Technician B says pressure testing ports are located on the transmission case. Who is correct?
11. Technician A says a transmission brake band is a holding device. Technician B says a hydraulically controlled servo is used to activate the brake band. Who is correct?
14. An excessive clunk is felt while placing an automatic transaxle into gear. Technician A says this could be excessive deflection in the final drive chain. Technician B says this could be worn universal joints. Who is correct?
15. Technician A says a TR sensor (Transmission Range Sensor) can be tested using an ohmmeter. Technician B says an improperly adjusted neutral safety switch can prevent a vehicle from starting. Who is correct?
16. Two technicians are removing a transmission's valve body. Technician A says the separator plate blocks off some passages while allowing fluid to flow in others. Technician B says the seat for a ball-type check valve may be located in the separator plate. Who is correct?
17. A vehicle lacks power when accelerating from a stop. Technician A says this could be caused by chipped teeth on the pinion gears. Technician B says the one-way stator clutch may be slipping. Who is correct?
19. Two technicians are discussing a vehicle's torque converter. Technician A says if the torque converter's hub has any imperfections it should be replaced. Technician B says the depth of the torque converter into the case should be measured before removal. Who is correct?
20. Technician A says the MAP sensor is for the engine and has no affect on transmission shift control. Technician B says the MAF sensor provides information about engine load to the TCM (transmission control module) and is important for TCM shift control. Who is correct?
Please select an answer