ASE A2 Automatic Transmission Quiz
1. A vibration occurs while driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission at normal speeds. This vibration does not occur during a stall test. Which of the following is causing this vibration.
2. There is a whining noise coming from the front of the transmission that increases with engine speed. This noise is present in all gears including park and neutral. The MOST likely cause of this is the:
3. An automatic transmission slips only when cold. As the vehicle warms to operating temperature, the transmission's performance returns to normal. Which of these is causing this condition?
4. Technician A says to clean the valve body with solvent and a lint free cloth. Technician B says if a spool valve is bent it can be straightened and reused. Who is correct?
5. During a transmission fluid check the technician notices the ATF is milky in appearance. The is caused by which of the following?
6. A light truck with an automatic transmission suffers from hard shifting. Technician A says a problem with the accumulator will result in this condition. Technician B says a sticking restricting orifice/check ball will result in this condition. Who is correct?
7. Technician A says that a shift solenoid is a hydraulically controlled device used by the transmission for shift control. Technician B says shift solenoids are computer controlled devices that can be diagnosed with a scanner. Who is correct?
8. Technician A says the PCM uses a relay to control high current components. Technician B says a relay may be electromechanical or solid state. Who is correct?
9. Technician A says that the vehicle speed sensor is driven by the input shaft of an automatic transmission. Technician B says that the parking pawl engages the input shaft to lock an automatic transmission in park. Who is correct?
10. Technician A says that a faulty throttle position sensor affects an automatic transmission's performance. Technician B says that as the throttle plate moves, the resistance in the throttle position sensor changes. Who is correct?
12. A three speed synchronous automatic transmission has engine flare up while shifting from first to second gear in drive. Technician A says this is the result of early application of the intermediate band. Technician B says this is caused by a faulty overrunning clutch. Who is correct?
13. After replacing the shift cable, the vehicle has a slight creep when the gear selector is placed into neutral. Technician A says this will result in clutch overheating and premature wear. Technician B says the manual shift valve is leaking pressure into the drive clutch circuit. Who is correct?
14. During an inspection of the oil pan pieces of black material are found. Which of these is MOST likely the cause?
15. A vehicle with an automatic transmission is not down shifting correctly. A loose vacuum hose is noticed by transmission. This vacuum hose should be connected to which of the following?
16. After a long drive at highway speeds red fluid is seen at the back the transmission and under chassis of a vehicle. Technician A says this can be caused by fluid aeration. Technician B says this could be caused by engine overheating. Who is correct?
17. The MIL is illuminated and the transmission only operates in third gear and reverse. Which of the following is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
19. While testing the TCM of an electronic automatic transmission the technician should use at least a:
20. A vehicle with an electronic automatic transmission is hunting for gears and having difficulty with shift timing. A scan indicates several sensors and shift solenoids are faulty. Technician A says to replace the sensors and rescan the TCM. Technician B says to inspect the circuits leading the these components. Who is correct?
Please select an answer