ASE A6 Electrical Electronics Practice Test
38. View the electrical diagram above. The engine's cooling fan motor operates whenever the ignition is switched ON, even when the engine is cold. Which of the following would cause this continuous fan motor operation?
- A. Excessive resistance at point A of the system.
- B. An open at point B in the system.
- C. A short to ground at point C in the system.
- D. An open at point D of the system.
Answer A is wrong. Resistance in the (ECT) engine coolant temperature sensor's circuit alters and weakens the signal from the sensor.
Answer B is wrong. An open at point B results in no fan operation. The control module is unable to control (ground) the open circuit.
Answer C is correct. A short to ground at point C activates the relay causing the fan to run when the ignition is switched on, even when the engine is cold.
Answer D is wrong. An open at point D prevents fan motor operation.