ASE G1 Maintenance and Lt. Repair Quiz
1. An engine's exhaust is white gray colored. Which of the following is causing this condition?
2. An automatic transmission's fluid is pink and milky. Technician A says this is caused by engine overheating. Technician B says the transmission could have been overfilled and the fluid has become aerated. Who is correct?
3. A front wheel drive vehicle makes a clacking noise that only occurs while cornering. The technician suspects a faulty front axle. Which of these is MOST likely the cause?
4. The tread of a tire is worn in the center and not on the outer shoulders. Technician A says this is caused by an improper wheel alignment angle. Technician B says this is caused by over inflating the tire. Who is correct?
5. A vehicle with power assist brakes has a hard brake pedal with little stopping power. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
6. The engine of a vehicle will start, but is slow cranking. Technician A says there may be resistance in the starter circuit. Technician B says to perform a voltage drop test to test for excessive resistance in the starter circuit. Who is correct?
7. Two technicians are discussing the evaporator's function in an automotive air conditioning system. All of these are true about the evaporator EXCEPT:
8. Technician A says a stuck open PCV valve will cause a lean fuel condition. Technician B says the PCV system removes blowby gases from the crankcase. Who is correct?
9. A technician removes and replaces a worn lower radiator hose on a four cylinder engine. The engine overheats after replacing the hose and adding coolant. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
10. Engine mounts were recently replaced on a front wheel drive vehicle with independent suspension. The vehicle now has a steady pull to the left at all speeds. Technician A says this is caused by loose motor mounts. Technician B says this is caused by a misaligned engine cradle. Who is correct?
11. A vehicle's right front wheel has a growling noise that increases with vehicle speed. The MOST likely cause is:
12. A vehicle pulls to the left only while braking. Technician A says this could be a restricted left front brake line. Technician B says this could be a frozen right front caliper. Who is correct?
13. A vehicle's air conditioner blows cold air while driving at normal speeds, but warm while sitting at stop lights. The LEAST likely cause of this condition is:
14. A technician runs a scan and receives a fault code indicating a problem in the MAF sensor circuit. Technician A says this could be caused by a loose wire or an intermittent open. Technician B says this could be caused by a faulty MAF sensor. Who is correct?
15. A vehicle blows blue gray exhaust from its tailpipe only when first started in the morning. The MOST likely cause of this condition is:
16. The headlights get brighter as the engine is revved. Technician A says this is caused by a high capacity battery. Technician B says this is caused by a faulty voltage regulator. Who is correct?
17. A vehicle with a power rack and pinion steering system is binding only while turning corners. Which of these are LEAST likely to cause this condition.
18. A technician is unable to balance a tire on a vehicle that vibrates at speeds above 35 mph. Technician A says to continue adding weights around the rim up to 10 ounces. Technician B says to dismount the tire from the rim and inspect the inside for liquid or debris. Who is correct?
20. A red colored fluid is seen leaking between the transmission and the engine. Technician A says this is caused by a leaking rear main seal. Technician B says this is caused by a leaking transmission pump seal. Who is correct?
Please select an answer