ASE A8 Engine Performance Practice Test
7. The engine in the diagram above contains:
- A. A (COP) coil over plug ignition system.
- B. A waste spark ignition system.
- C. An electronic sequential port fuel injection system.
- D. A (TBI) throttle body fuel injection system.
Answer A is wrong. This is a waste spark ignition system that fires two cylinders at once. One of these cylinders is on its exhaust stroke. That's why its called a waste spark ignition system. One of the sparkplugs firing is "wasted" on the inert exhaust gases.
Answer B is correct. This diagram contains of a waste spark ignition system.
Answer C is wrong. This is a multiport fuel injection system. The PCM actuates two injectors at once. A sequential port fuel injection system is more precise, actuating one injector at a time for more precise fuel control.
Answer D is wrong. This diagram contains a multiport fuel injection system.