A4 Steering and Suspension Quiz
1. A vehicle has excessive body sway while cornering. Which of these is MOST likely to cause this condition.
2. A vehicle with variable assist steering feels loose only at highway speeds. Technician A says to inspect VSS vehicle speed sensor operation. Technician B says this is caused by reduced pressure to the steering gear. Who is correct?
3. A vehicle with a ribbed serpentine belt makes a chirping noise when starting. Technician A says to check the belt with a belt wear gauge. Technician B says proper belt deflection is 1/2 inch per foot of belt span. Who is correct?
4. Technician A says the vehicle in the chart above is within specifications. Technician B says the vehicle's front toe is out of specifications. Tire wear will result from this condition. Who is correct?
5. After replacing a tapered ball joint the technician loosens the castle nut just enough to install the cotter pin. Technician A says this procedure keeps the ball joint from binding. Technician B says a binding ball joint will result in memory steer. Who is correct?
6. On cold mornings, the warning lamp on a vehicle with a TPMS tire pressure monitoring system stays illuminated for several minutes before it goes out. Which of these is MOST likely the cause of this condition.
7. A front wheel drive vehicle is pulling to the left and is being checked for alignment angles. Technician A says loose engine cradle bolts will cause a vibration, but have no affect on a vehicle's steering system. Technician B says if the engine cradle is not centered before tightening the bolts the wheel alignment angles will be affected. Who is correct?
8. Two technicians are discussing an electronic air suspension system. Technician A says the suspension switch must be turned off before lifting the vehicle. Technician B says to use soapy water to visually inspect this system for leaks. Who is correct?
9. Loose tie rods are discovered during the initial inspection of a vehicle's steering linkage. Technician A says loose tie rods will cause a clunking or popping noise while turning. Technician B says loose tie rods will result in constant steering correction and vehicle wander. Who is correct?
10. Technician A says a directional tire must be kept on the same side of the vehicle during a tire rotation. Technician B says tire inflation pressure is considered cold as long as the vehicle has been driven less than ten miles. Who is correct?
11. Technician A says two different size tires on the rear of a vehicle will illuminate the amber ABS light. Technician B says the 60 in P225/60R16 89H indicates the tire's section width. Who is correct?
12. A front wheel drive vehicle with a rack and pinion power steering system is being diagnosed. During the test drive, the technician notices the steering is binding in one spot, only while turning right. Which of these is the MOST likely cause of this condition?
13. A vehicle's right front wheel is making a growling noise that increases with vehicle speed. All of these will result in this condition EXCEPT:
14. Two technicians are performing a power steering pressure test. Technician A says a restriction in the high pressure line results in higher than normal test results. Technician B says if the pressure increases when the shutoff valve is closed, there's a problem with the power steering pump. Who is correct?
15. Two technicians are discussing a recirculating ball steering gear. Technician A says to measure worm bearing preload with a foot pound torque wrench. Technician B says an under adjusted sector shaft will result in excessive steering wheel free play. Who is correct?
16. A vehicle has a steady pull to the left. All of these will cause this condition EXCEPT:
17. Technician A says a vehicle will pull to the side with the most positive camber. Technician B says that too much negative camber will result in excessive wear on the inside tread of the tire. Who is correct?
18. Two technicians are discussing inner and outer tie rods. Technician A says to turn the outer tie rod end to adjust the toe. Technician B says loose inner tie rod ends will cause a tire to feather. Who is correct?
19. The rear tires on a vehicle with independent rear suspension are worn on the inside tread. Which of the following is MOST likely the cause of this condition?
20. Technician A says SAI or Steering Angle Inclination is adjusted by changing the caster angle. Technician B says camber adjustments are included in the Included Angle. Who is correct?
Please select an answer