ASE A3 Manual Transmission and Axle Quiz
1. A manual transmission slips out of third gear. This is MOST likely caused by:
2. A rear wheel drive vehicle with a limited slip differential chatters while turning corners. Technician A says that adding the wrong type of fluid will result in this condition. Technician B says excessive pinion preload will cause this differential to chatter around corners. Who is correct?
3. Two technicians are discussing a vacuum operated transfer case. Technician A says a vacuum between 10 "hg and 18 "hg is required to operate this unit. Technician B says the vacuum operates a mode fork to switch between 2WD and 4WD. Who is correct?
4. Technician A says a clutch start switch is normally closed when the clutch pedal is released. Technician B says the clutch start switch is designed to complete the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. Who is correct?
5. Two technicians are discussing a clutch master assembly. Technician A says external leaks are due to the secondary seal. Technician B says hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic and tends to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Who is correct?
6. A manual transmission jumps out of gear during acceleration. Technician A says loose shift linkage will result in this condition. Technician B says worn motor mounts cause a transmission to slip out of gear while accelerating. Who is correct?
7. Two technicians are discussing a synchronizer assembly in a three speed manual transmission. Technician A says the splines on a synchronizer clutch sleeve should be pointed. Technician B says the teeth on a synchronizer sleeve and ring should be smooth and rounded. Who is correct?
8. A vehicle has a vibration while driving forward that increases with vehicle speed. The LEAST likely cause of this condition is:
9. Two technicians are discussing flywheel resurfacing. Technician A says a mark should be placed on the flywheel and the crankshaft before removal. Technician B says if too much surface is removed from the flywheel, damage will occur to the release bearing. Who is correct?
10. Two technicians are discussing faulty CV joints. Technician A says on a front wheel drive vehicle, faulty inboard and outboard axle joints can make noise while traveling forward in a straight line. Technician B says an outboard CV joint's noise is more prominent while cornering. Who is correct?
11. There is a chirping sound as the clutch pedal is depressed. Technician A says it could be a worn clutch release bearing. Technician B says the sound is a worn transmission synchronizer. Who is correct?
13. A transfer case makes a popping sound in 4WD, only when accelerating from a stop. Which of the following is causing this sound?
14. A vehicle has an excessive vibration at highway speeds. Technician A says pinion shaft companion flange runout will result in this vibration. Technician B says this could be caused by driveshaft runout. Who is correct?
16. A squeal is heard from the clutch housing only when the clutch pedal is depressed completely to the floor. Technician A says this could be worn counter shaft bearings. Technician B says the squeal is from a faulty pilot bearing. Who is correct?
17. Gold metal shavings are found in the oil after draining a five speed manual transaxle. Technician A says this is a normal condition. Technician B says this is from chipped gear teeth. Who is correct?
18. An all wheel drive vehicle suffers from continuous viscous clutch failure. Which of the following is the cause?
19. A manual transaxle is suffering from clutch chatter. Technician A says that clutch chatter is caused by glazed clutch facings. Technician B says a worn pressure plate will cause clutch chatter. Who is correct?
20. Two technicians are discussing a growling sound in second gear only. Technician A says the grooves on the blocking ring of its synchronizer are rounded. Technician B says that second gear has a chipped tooth. Who is correct?
Please select an answer