A1 Engine Repair Quiz
1. Engine crack repair is being discussed. Technician A says metal pinning is an accepted method of cracked cylinder head repair. Technician B says metal pinning is an accepted method of cracked engine block repair. Who is correct?
3. Technician A says valve spring installed height is measured from the outer edge of the valve spring retainer to the pocket in the cylinder head. Technician B says that too thin of a valve margin will not effect its operating temperature. Who is correct?
4.Technician A says that magnetic particle detection is an acceptable method to detect cracks in aluminum castings. Technician B says a special dye is used to detect cracks in aluminum castings. Who is correct?
5. Technician A says that minor scoring on the surface of a flywheel can be removed. Technician B says if the transmission flexplate's ring gear shows excessive wear or cracking it must be replaced. Who is correct?
6. Two technicians are discussing the camshaft in a V8 engine. Technician A says to use an outside micrometer to measure the diameter of a camshaft journal. Technician B says a camshaft spins twice for every one revolution of the crankshaft. Who is correct?
7. A vehicle is emitting black exhaust from its tailpipe under all driving conditions. This is because:
8. The top compression ring groove of piston is worn excessively and the gap is found to be larger than specifications. The technician would MOST likely:
9. A strong sulfur smell is emitting from the tailpipe of a vehicle. The MOST likely cause of this condition is:
10. A technician performs a battery capacity test on a vehicle that will not start. The test results in a reading of 9.1 volts at 70° F. Technician A says the battery has failed the capacity test. Technician B says battery voltage readings will increase as temperature decreases. Who is correct?
11. After performing a cylinder pressure test on a four cylinder engine. The #1 cylinder is found to be 30 psi below specifications. All the other cylinders have passed. The pressure in the #1 cylinder increased after injecting engine oil. Technician A says excessive carbon buildup has caused these test results. Technician B says these results indicate a faulty engine valve. Who is correct?
12. One valve tip on a cylinder head is much higher than the others. The MOST likely cause of this is:
13. Two technicians are discussing a ballooned oil filter. WhIch of these is causing this condition:
14. Technician A says that torque to yield bolts can always be reused. Technician B says that torque to yield bolts can be reused as long as they are cleaned and oiled before they are reinstalled and torqued. Who is correct?
16. A vehicle's cooling system is loosing coolant. There is corrosion found around the aluminum water pump. Which of these is MOST likely to cause this condition.
17. A technician installs a radiator pressure tester on the radiator of a cold engine. After starting the engine the pressure quickly rises to 18 psi. Technician A says this is a normal condition. Technician B says the engine has a leaking cylinder head gasket. Who is correct?
18. Two Technicians are discussing a PCV system. Technician A says a stuck closed PCV valve could cause external oil leaks. Technician B says that the PCV system removes blowby gases from the engine case. Who is correct?
19. An OHC engine has recently had the cylinder head replaced. The engine runs rough and stumbles. Technician A says this may be caused by incorrect valve lash adjustment. Technician B says that only in-block camshafts require valve lash adjustments. Who is correct?
20. Technician A says worn valve springs result in valve float at wide open throttle. Technician B says valve springs should be inspected for squareness with a square and a feeler gauge. Who is correct?
Please select an answer